GratiTUESDAY- living your best life with gratitude and mindfulness.
What do you love most about your bed? The comfort of the mattress? The sheets, pillows or blankets? Perhaps the one you share it with- mate, babies, furbabies? How often does it allow you to sleep well, to feel relaxed, at peace or rejuvenated? Is your bed a place of comfort, a place where you can escape from the day, your worries or troubles? Or a place where you can just be in a state on non-doing?
I am so grateful for my bed. There is no better feeling than jumping into bed after a long day and feeling the cool sheets as they warm up against your skin. And feeling the muscles in our bodies as they begin to relax from the comfort of the mattress, and from being given a chance to be still. When I travel, it’s one of the things I’m most excited to return too, as hotel beds just never do it justice! Does anyone else feel this way? Do we actually take the time to think of all the simple things we have to be grateful for?
Reasons WHY we should be grateful for our BED and jump in it more often and for longer periods of time:
- Physical Health- sleep is a huge factor in healing and repairing our heart and blood vessels after a long day of working hard! If we are sleep deprived, we are at a higher risk of heart disease, kidney disease, diabetes, stroke, etc…..
- Sleep helps us devlop and grow!! Especially for children and TEENS! It promotes healthy brain development and can help with ADD, and ADHD. And as my sister taught me when I was sleep training the girls- sleep begets sleep!
- Not to mention sleep deprivation has a HUGE correlation with depression and anxiety, which as a teacher I can see is SO prevalent!
- We ALL know, that when we are tired we are more prone to being irritable, moody or unmotivated! It is proven that these are tied to being sleep deprived and with that we have less control over our health choices. Our hormones get messed up when we are over-tired and we lose our motivation, yet our appetite is larger. When we are sleep deprived, our hunger hormone (Ghrelin) is out of whack and it over stimulates…making us constantly hungry. So, this is why people say sleep helps us LOSE WEIGHT! We regulate our hormones when we get enough sleep, and then the leptin hormone allows us to feel full!
- Sleep makes us have more clarity and more ability to concentrate.
So- set up your room and make your environment warm and cozy….but not TOO warm! Create good sleep habits, making sure that your environment is comfortable and set up for what you need. Create structure, and try to be in bed around the same time everyday. Your body and mind will thank you! AND put that phone away!!! It will be there in the morning 🙂 I am often guilty of this one….and the research is there, they say that just having your phone nearby triggers your brain and stimulates it….reducing the quality of your sleep.
Take a moment when you go to sleep tonight or wake up in the morning and be grateful for your bed. Feel the blankets, the warmth and comfort and thank it for allowing you to sleep and heal.
I don’t know about you, but we sure are loving this warmer weather! The girls and I got home and even though I wasn’t feeling well, we immediately took off for a walk.
They had actually gone for a long walk at daycare and Leah found a joy rock.
She was so excited, and now Lily really wants to find one….of course…so we are going to go looking for some this weekend. However, I told them we could also make our own and then hide them around town to make other people as happy as it made Leah when she found hers. They were really excited about this, so we walked to the corner where there are new houses being built and we looked for nicely shaped, flat rocks that we can paint and write messages on.
We found many, and they stuffed their purses and later this week, we will paint them and hide them.
We came home and had some homemade chicken soup, and some cucumber, cheese, and they had half a sandwich.
It was an early night for all of us! The girls are tired and neither Matt or I are feeling really well….so we were in bed by 8:30! It felt weird as it was still QUITE bright outside!
Got the girls ready for school today, and they came out with daddy’s clothes on…a bit big but super cute!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday!
Blissful Bhakti Babe